Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 11 - Bye Bye Paci


Today's nap is O's last time to have his paci. We are going to go cold turkey tonight...I think...I hope. I suppose all good things must come to an end. Although I have mixed feelings about how "good" his pacifier technically is for him. Some of the good things that I'm going to miss are its magical plugging action. You know, sticking a cork in it, so to speak. :) It makes him be quiet sometimes! It also soothes him and helps him go to sleep, and go back to sleep if he wakes. Like everything, it has its pros and cons. One major con is my dental hygenist friend said she thinks its pushing his teeth forward and that's certainly not good. Now that he's 2 and is becoming a big boy, its time for it to go. I knew this day was coming, but remarkably I find it tugging at my heart for some reason. I mean really, won't life be easier without a paci? Why do I feel sad? Its not like I'm going to go through paci-withdrawal...my poor baby boy is. Maybe that's why I'm sad, knowing its going to be so hard on him (and its going to suck for his dad and mom, too). But I think its deeper rooted...I know he's growing up. Every milestone we cross tugs at my hearstrings a bit. The last bottle he ever had I just had to give to him. His last nursing session he ever had I still remember clearly. His first birthday. His 2nd birthday. Gosh. Its all passing so quickly. I want to remember it all. I want to remember him...always. I think that's also one of the reasons I'm in love with photography. I can capture all these moments and savor them always (provided my 3 hard drives don't crash). And I can also share them. I took these top two today before putting him down for a nap, as I tried to explain this was his last time to get his paci. I snuck back in his room for the bottom one after he was asleep. He stirred just as I came and the paci, once barely hanging on to his mouth, dropped to its resting position by his chin. Enjoy Day 11's collage, a tribute to our friend/enemy, the paci. Wish us luck tonight!

10 comments:

  1. super sweet story board- good luck with no paci. My girls were REALLY attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness..these are absolutely gorgeous! I hope it goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful pictures. Good luck with the transition. My daughter was a binkie addict and she did surprisingly well when it was taken away. Hope you have smooth sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. Tomorrows post will probably be myself looking all frazzled about to pull my hair out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's tough. We aren't having any more kids, so I know everything my youngest outgrows, will be the very last I get to go through. It's tough. YOu did a great job on these photos. His eyes are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knows! He may surprise you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you and your little guy. Mine is 2 1/2 and we're still allowing the paci at night and I know a lot of it has to do with what you talked about. This is our last babe and it's all going by way too fast...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck taking the paci away. That is one thing my kids never got attached to and I am so glad because I never had to worry about taking it away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful storyboard! I love the black and white and yellow. It is just gorgeous. Good luck on the pacifier weaning. It's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete